Saturday, October 10, 2026

What Stonewall Jackson said.

 


Here are ten of the best-known quotes associated with Confederate general Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson (1824–1863):

  1. “The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard.”
    Spoken to VMI cadets in March 1861. 
  1.  “Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet!”
    Reply at First Manassas (Bull Run), July 21, 1861, when told his men were being driven back—just before he earned the nickname “Stonewall.”
  1.  “My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me.”
    To Capt. John D. Imboden after First Manassas. He added that this was how all men should live so that all would be equally brave.
  1. “Never take counsel of your fears.”
    Described by his widow, Mary Anna Jackson, as a favorite maxim.
  1. “Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up in the pursuit so long as your men have strength to follow.”
    His oft-quoted rule of offensive warfare.
  1. “You may be whatever you resolve to be.”
    Frequently cited as a personal motto associated with Jackson.
  1. “War means fighting. The business of the soldier is to fight.”
    From his views on how armies should be used—find the enemy, strike him, and do so quickly.
  1. “I like liquor—its taste and its effects—and that is just the reason why I never drink it.”
    A characteristic remark on self-discipline.
  1. “I yield to no man in sympathy for the gallant men under my command; but I am obliged to sweat them tonight, so that I may save their blood tomorrow.”
    Explaining a hard night march.
  1. “Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.”
    His last words, spoken as he was dying of pneumonia after being wounded at Chancellorsville (May 10, 1863).

CIVIL WAR CIVILIAN LIFE: MANASSAS, VIRGINIA (Battle of Bull Run)



No comments: